Saturday, November 15, 2008

We Heal....

About a month ago, I had a blackout at home. Both circuit-breakers in my fuse box burnt and there was an awful smell in the whole house. And although I managed to get the power back on, I didn't dare switch all the appliances back on because... hey, the circuit-breakers were not working! It was a Saturday night, so until i could get an electrician to check things out the next day, better to be safe than sorry.

In the middle of that night, I stumbled to the kitchen in the dark to get some water. I had forgotten that earlier in the day, my boys had played one of their imagination games and had shifted the coffee table to block the kitchen entrance (I think it was supposed to be a fast-food counter!). Well, I walked right into it. And what's more, with the house in pitch darkness, I walked into that darn table another 2 more times that night, bruising the same spot on my leg 3 times.

Here's my bruise (left leg) to show for it. There's another smaller one - but just as colourful - on my right leg:




Well, life goes on. I didn't do anything about it cos I knew I couldn't rub it, and medication wasn't going to make a real difference. It was probably broken blood vessels inside that would heal in time. So I left it as it was, and went about my daily chores.

Yesterday, I took a day off ~ my first since I started with 938LIVE.

As I was journalling, with my legs crossed, I noticed to my delight and amusement that my beautiful bruise of blues and purples was *poof* ... completely gone. Not a trace.


Such is the miracle: WE HEAL.

Whether we are aware of it or not, time heals all wounds. And God allows that process ever so gradually. Then one day, we wake up and realise that the pain that used to be so intense is no longer there. The memory of it may linger for a while more, but hey, we are OK.

It's true not just for physical bruises. When we bruise emotionally, I think the same thing happens. At the point when the injury was inflicted, the pain is so intense, so excruciating that we think we will never get over it. But we have to keep living, to keep moving forward, because there are other people counting on us. Life has to go on.

And then one day, we wake up and realise that the intense pain is no longer there. The memory may still be there, but what doesn't kill us, has made us stronger. And hey, we are OK.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh jeez.... Pam, that injury sure looked bad. Glad it's all recovered now!

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger - guess that's why scars are beautiful in that sense!

Threez said...

What can I say - PRAISE THE LORD! :)

meilai said...

Hey Pam,

You know what?? You have been an inspiration to me.. for all that you are, in the past and now! I thank God for you. ;-)

love, mae