Sunday, April 26, 2009

The Molly Lee Appeal is announced on Prime Time Morning!

This morning, Josef Lee, Dr Chia Yin Nin of KKH and I were on Prime Time Morning (with the luminous Suzanne Jung and the affable Steven Chia) to talk about the Molly Lee Appeal.

It was nice. I was in that studio once before, maybe three years ago, with Saleemah Ismail of UNIFEM and Glenda Chong was talking to us about our lobbying for the bill to be passed so that men couldn't have sex with kids overseas without facing justice back home.

Anyway, this morning we were there as part of Channel Newsasia's Singapore Woman Award week of publicity. Molly Lee was last year's winner of the SWA, which was helmed by Vanilla (you would all remember I'm sure). 

29 May marks one year since Molly passed away. I've always been so ... dumbfounded is the best word... watching how Josef has really just taken this loss in his stride. When 
my mom passed away from cancer, I was bursting into tears every time I heard the word cancer. But not Josef.

The show went well - Josef shared about Molly and his vision for WeAreWonderWomen, and why he feels the need to keep her work going. I shared about how the fund came about — and at this juncture, I want to thank ONG SOH CHIN, my ex-boss, who really championed this all the way, and linked me with Mrs Laura Hwang and Prof Ivy Ng who really made this fund happen. Here's Soch and me having cupcakes — next round, drinks!

Anyway, Dr Chia (a very sexy, husky-voiced dynamo! I really like her!) shared about how positive mindedness went a long way in the recovery of a cancer patient - and Molly was such a great example of that. Even though the disease eventually overwhelmed her, her legacy now lives on, and hopefully, encourages other cancer sufferers to stay mentally strong and positive, because it impacts their recovery.

So! The Fund is up and running! Please spread the word! We will be holding our first fundraising event at the end of May - details to be revealed as soon as I get my lazy butt off my chair and get wheels in motion.

I just want to thank everyone who has been a part of this - in prayer, good wishes, linking people up - and I thank everyone who is going to join Josef and me in our bid to help women with cancer.

Stay tuned!








No comments: