Tuesday, September 30, 2008

A new beginning at 938LIVE...

Today is my second day at 938LIVE. Although I feel completely overwhelmed by the amount of things I need to learn, I'm thankful that my new colleagues are really nice. And I have a great on-air buddy, Stanley.

It was a real eye-opener for me sit behind the "control panel". OK, I don't know what it's called, but it looks like an airplane cockpit. Here's the view from where I sit...



Can you believe I'll have to operate this contraption BY MYSELF soon? *faint* I can't even begin to explain to you what I have to do to switch from this to that to this to that.... and you know how tech-unsavvy I am!

The Living Room does about 2-3 interviews a day, so I will still get to meet all sorts of interesting people. But can you imagine the number of interviews we have to schedule? It's like 10-15 a week, almost 60 a month! :o

Stanley is really good at putting people at ease! He keeps the studio spick and span between interviews, and cares enough to make sure the interviewees have "warm" water to drink (apparently it calms them down!). He is also very patient teaching me. SIGH. I'm like learn yesterday, today forget already lor! :(

Here's a picture of the area around my desk:



My desk is the one on the right, with the packet of half-eaten Malay food on it. Yes, the people at 938LIVE also tabao from canteen and makan at their desks! :P

Sitting to my left (in white shirt) is Stanley -- look at his messy desk! He can't even eat his lunch there cos he only has one small, small space to move his computer mouse around! :o

The pretty lady in red is Casandra - she hosts Body and Soul - with the "blue blur" (in the pic) beside her, Daniel Martin. Melanie Oliveiro and Eugene Loh sit in front of me, on the other side.

It's a small cosy office. And since everyone takes turns going on air, the whole team is hardly around at the same time. But there is always friendly banter and laughter flying around. The vibes are very positive -- and that's most important to me.

I've got a nickname -- first thing in the morning already kena. :(

Because the office is so small and quiet in the mornings, everyone can hear everyone else typing on the computer keyboards. So here I was replying my email... tip-tapping away furiously... when Stanley looks up and says, "You can always tell when someone is from Publishing. They type like this lor..."

Daniel says it's like I'm killing my keyboard. And so my nickname now is Keyboard Killer. :(

As for the work........ let's just say it's a VERY STEEP learning curve for me. So many technical things I have to learn! I seriously think you need an engineering degree to be in radio. :P And that's just technical........

But I thank God for this opportunity.

There are Vanilla fans in CBC who come up to me to ask why Vanilla closed down, and how I'm coping. I tell them the truth: "I'm still grieving".

My chocolate buddy Diane sent me some Ferrero Rocher today. It arrived in the mail and when I read the note, I almost cried. It brought back a WAVE of memories of Publishing. Guys, I miss you!

But don't worry about me. I'm doing OK in radio and am enjoying the new adventure! As a dear friend would say, "All is good".

Missing you all, and wishing we can meet up again soon. Don't forget me!!!

6 comments:

Threez said...

Babe — I know I should be happy but I feel so sad seeing your new work station and knowing you have a new nickname from your new colleagues.

Okay Threez stop being a selfish twit.

It's like it's finally true that we have been split up and we're off and running in different directions — you know how it is when you sort of have it at the back of your mind but when the truth actually hits you, it still socks a mean punch.

But Pam I am VERY VERY happy for you. I think you will do brilliantly and I'm really looking forward to hearing your voice on air, talking to people who matter, discuss issues that matter, and give a voice to the deserving.

You go girl! ((hug))

Andrew Tan said...

Hey Pam "Keyboard Killer" - so happy to hear things are exciting and going as well as any new jobs go! The 'cockpit' looks impressive! Must tell me when you are on air ok? Catch up with you soon!

Rosalind Ng said...

Hi Pam!
Great to see pics of your new office! HAHA.... Your desk still looks very fresh, unlike those around you with the "lived-in" desks. Guess yours will be like that in no time :)

All the best & must update us when you're on air! Take care & see you soon.

Shaan Moledina said...

you have new neighbours! :( i guess i'm being a selfish twit like theresa... they're so lucky to have you and i'm so happy that you're happy. miss you MY pampam...

D! said...

Hey Pam my choco bud!

I miss you too!! dont worry i'll send you more stuff soon to make u "home" sick...

Muahahahaa.... ~~Evill~~

Pam said...

Guys, I miss you all too! :(

May Yin says I need to go back to collect my cheque. She ask me to come back next Tue afternoon. Will you all be around? :)