Friday, September 26, 2008

Saying Goodbye

Someone once told me that life is cyclical - sometimes you're way up top, and other times, you find yourself right at the bottom. The bright side of being at the bottom (yes, there is a bright side) is that, as Yazz sang in the 80s, the only way is up.

I was at an all time high exactly two weeks ago to the day. I was four days into my surprise trip to France, in a tiny town which wasn't even on the map, in the Champagne region of the country - being proposed to under a million stars during a midnight stroll. The days that followed were filled with blue skies, swimming in pristine waters in St. Tropez, walking along the Seine, staying in chateaus and driving along country roads with the one person I've loved for the last six years. Three days before returning home, we got robbed of everything - passports, surprise tickets to watch madonna in paris, laptop, camera with my 600 precious photos, phones, credit cards and a substantial amount of cash. But even that couldn't bring us down for long and we got immigration papers from the embassy and bought replacement tickets to watch Madonna throw the biggest party ever at the Stade de France in Paris on our last night.

What did bring me down was the last thing I expected to discover in the first hour of my first day back at work - Vanilla's end. As Theresa mentioned in her first blog entry, I could not believe it was happening, had happened all while I was away on vacation. Over the last few days, with the support of Theresa, Pam and the team who have all had a week or so to adjust to the reality, I think i'm finally there too. I finally realize that there will be other avenues, other ways of putting our message out there, and as someone really wise told me yesterday, we each have the Vanilla DNA in us, to inject into whatever work we set out to do. It won't be easy to find something I will be as passionate about and as proud of, but I know I've come out of this with amazing lifelong friends, knowing we've made a difference and fifteen issues I'll always treasure...

Goodbye, Vanilla. Je t'aime.

5 comments:

Yellow Canaries 金丝雀 said...

I felt really sad when I heard the news. I have followed Vanilla since it's first issue and I love the mag because it features real women, real issues - and the interesting personality profiles were a source of inspiration to many, including me. It's indeed no plain vanilla.

I (amongst many others) will definitely miss it.

Andrew Tan said...

Farewell Vanilla... I admit that while my following of the magazine has not been very consistent, I am very sad that Vanilla is saying good bye. This has been one of those few magazines (the only?) that my wife and I both read and talk about. Truly a magazine for the modern, intellectual woman... and her man.

voleurroses said...

i have no more reason to go to the magazine stand now. i don't buy any other magazine

karen said...

Saying goodbye is the hardest thing in life. There again, all good things must come to an end. I have been following the magazine eversince it was born and now....

I can imagine how the whole team at Vanilla feel. Kudos to all of you and all the best to a new career or life wherever you go.

Blessings!

Pauline said...

To everyone at Vanilla, thank you for giving me a chance to contribute to 2 issues. The team has been truely generous, genuine and inclusive. I will miss Vanilla and the team, please do keep in touch. All the best and don't forget to add that spice in all that you do and all that you meet!