Tuesday, October 7, 2008

A Sleepy Lunch and Fresh-Baked Bread

Yesterday Jenn, Lindy, Adlena and I decided that the food at Techpoint was just too daggy.

I decided to drive us out to an old, old eating spot my former colleagues at Female (waaaaay back when it was still published by MPH and our office was in Tagore) introduced to me in 1997. It's called Salt & Pepper Cafe and it's situated at the Singapore Teacher's Union building in Teacher's Estate.

Amazingly, it was not only open, it was packed! The old aunty who used to take orders wasn't there anymore but there was the younger lady who was either her daughter or daughter in law.

We sat down and she flittered over and said, "What do you want? What do you want?" and we were like, "Um... one hor fun... does anyone wants mee goreng?"

"Excuse me can you hurry up? Got other customers!" she said.

Jenn's face was a picture of shock and Lindy looked like she couldn't believe her ears. We wound up ordering:

1 x hor fun ("You must say seafood or beef!")
1 x mee goreng ("Eh, if you're sharing you must say or else I give wrongly!")
1 x mixed veg ("You want to try our yong tau fu?")
4 x chicken wings
1 x seafood ngor hiang ("Get one seafood ngor hiang lah!")
1 x egg fuyong

It was too much food, maaaan. We were eating fit to burst. But the bill only came up to $41.

After that, we drove to this traditional bakery on Kalidasa Road - they still make the good old "skinless" loti that we all grew up with. The mere scent of fresh-baked bread tugged at my car wheels till we were parked just outside and bread fiend Adlena was the first one there asking for her "skin-on" loti. We each bought a loaf (except Lindy) and I added one pandan "ice-cream" loaf.

Damage:
1 huge, feed-family-of-8 loaf = $1.80
1 pandan loaf = $.90

Jenn is now saying I'm making her hungry ... Where shall we go for lunch today??

2 comments:

Pam said...

hey, i know this place! jennifer brought fongfan & me there after one shoot. the chicken wings are solid! :P~

wah damn cheap the food... like being in malaysia. when are you girls going there again? bring me! bring me! :(

Shaan Moledina said...

damn!!! can't believe i couldn't join you guys at the last minute... sounds like it was an awesome lunch! we gotta do this again when PamPam visits and I'm not bogged down with work!!!!!