Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Tell Me Lies



Today, I heard an ELLE staffer say "Real women don't shoot well."


Boy did THAT bring back a whole download of memories.


At ELLE, we were taught "Real people are UGLY." "We don't shoot real women unless they are celebrities." That was so ingrained in me that when I left ELLE, it took me a long time to get back to "normal".


A loooong time. It was a good 5 years before I came to Vanilla, and wasn't Vanilla just the anti-thesis of that ELLE adage!


Last week Fongfan (Vanilla's beloved executive stylist who can make Minnie Mouse look like Gisele Bundchen) came to visit and she gave me a hug. Boy, I missed Vanilla more in that single moment than in all the 5 weeks that have passed. Can you believe it's been 5 weeks since Vanilla died?


Real women - we are beautiful. We can be fashionable, we can be stylish. And as Fongfan has proven, we can shoot well - more than well! Look at all the beautiful real women who graced our fashion pages and our covers! Think of Grace Park from our March 2008 issue - who had everyone saying "Hey who is she? Is she a Korean superstar?"


That real women are lesser than 7-foot amazonians like Gisele, is a TOTAL and ABSOLUTE LIE. I'm sorry, that poor ELLE girl probably doesn't know it, she's just repeating a fascist truism that has been put into her brainwash spin cycle. I know, I've been there. But to say that real women don't photograph well, is just untrue.
I've put the Dove Girls up here - two of them tied together would make the height of Gisele. Now tell me, who's the freak, haha! (I love Gisele - don't get me wrong. I think she is so unfussed by her own celebrity that she really is a real woman who decided to humour the world.)
Don't mean to vent - just that I had an ELLE moment, know what I mean? :)
Back to normal now, back to normal.


3 comments:

D! said...

Hey Threez!

i cant imagine you in ELLE! Not now... not when you're "normal" heh.

You are a vanilla woman! The vanilla foundation! And even though vanilla died i'm sure it will rise up again someday... maybe called ChoColaTe.:)

Cos we need a magazine to tell people that they are not alone and that they are REAL and BEAUTIFUL(all we need is a good stylist to shoot well!)

The spirit of vanilla will live on...

Side Note: I do think Fongfan is really great!

It's me destressing this tired day... Diane!

Pam said...

Oh maaaan..... I miss Fongfan!!! *wail*

I know what you mean, Threez, when you say:
"Last week Fongfan (Vanilla's beloved executive stylist) came to visit and she gave me a hug. Boy, I missed Vanilla more in that single moment than in all the 5 weeks that have passed."

SIGH. She really is so much a part of Vanilla and the "look" for Vanilla that whenever I see her, talk to her or just sms her, I start to miss Vanilla BAD! sniff*

Can we invite her to come blog here too? I am sure our followers would love to hear from her. She made all our normal women look so beautiful ~ and it's only because SHE could already see the beauty in them. What a woman!

Shaan Moledina said...

i think what makes the Dove girls and the Vanilla girls so beautiful is the fact that they're not afraid to smile and to laugh (thanks to fong fan making jokes to get everyone laughing!) in their photos -- the happiness and vulnerability really shines through and when all is said and done, it's REAL. So much better than pouty stick-thin models trying to be all that...